Academic Training permits a J-1 student to engage in practical training in the field of study before or after completion of studies. Internships and full-time employment experiences may both be authorized. Academic Training authorizations are issued by ISSS, or the program sponsor if different.
In general, you must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for Academic Training:
- You are in good academic standing and valid J-1 status
- The employment is directly related to the academic field of study
You must apply for Academic Training during your program of study and before the expiration date on your DS-2019.
Duration of Authorization
J-1 students may be authorized for Academic Training up to the maximum allowed for their degree level. Authorizations may be given for the maximum duration allowed, or the duration of the J-1 program, whichever is less. The maximum durations listed below include Academic Training authorized both before and after the completion of the program.
Degree Level: Duration of Authorization for Pre- and Post-Completion AT
- Undergraduate/masters: 18 months total for both degree levels, or the duration of the program, whichever is less.
- Doctoral: 36 months total, or the duration of the program, whichever is less.
- Non-degree: 24 months total, or the duration of the program, whichever is less.
To apply for Academic Training, submit the Academic Training Request online in the ISSS Portal.
In the request form, you will need to submit the following:
- Training letter on company letterhead
- Description of the training
- Start and end date
- Number of hours per week
- Proof of finances (post-completion only)
- Academic advisor information
- Your academic advisor will receive a link to complete a recommendation in the ISSS Portal
All academic training must be evaluated for successful completion.
For students engaging in academic training for which they receive a grade, no further evaluation is necessary.
For students engaging in non-credit academic training, an evaluation form must be submitted to ISSS.