Current International Students

As a current international student at the University of Denver, ISSS is here to support you. We encourage you to explore these pages thoroughly and reach out to us if you have any questions regarding your education or experience at DU.

Visa Status & Renewal

You will need a valid U.S. visa to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad (see Automatic Revalidation of Visa for exceptions to this rule). If your visa has expired or has been damaged or mutilated, you must apply for a new one before you return to the United States.

Learn More

Academic Resources

If you need help with your academics, ask for it! Asking for help is not a sign of weakness or a lack of intelligence. You are doing something extremely challenging: you are studying in another country with a different educational system--and you are learning in English, which is probably not your native language.

Explore Resources

Graduate Student Language Support

The University of Denver offers a free, zero credit English language support course ENGG 3003: Integrated Communication Skills to graduate students semi-annually.

ENGG 3033 assists international students in discovering and mastering the communication norms of graduate programs by working with students to identify the language skills that will help them succeed in their field of study.

For more details, contact Ann Makikalli, Teaching Assistant Professor in International Education and English Language Development.

Financial Wellness and Student Life

You should have access to enough money to cover your expenses during your stay in the United States. We strongly recommend against relying on on-campus employment to meet your living expenses. You should also not rely on obtaining employment or financial aid to compensate for any deficiency in your funding.

Tuition payments are due every quarter. If you do not pay your bill on time, a hold will be placed on your account to prevent you from registering for the next quarter. You can find payment options and instructions on the Bursar's web page.

In general, international students are not eligible for federal financial aid or work study positions on campus. Scholarships and graduate assistantships are competitive, and if you are not offered one in your admission letter, you should not count on getting one later.

You can find listings of non-DU scholarships for international students at StudyUSA and

International students are limited in the types of employment they can engage in. F-1 and J-1 students may work on campus part-time (full time during academic breaks) in positions that are not work-study. You may only work off campus with authorization. Unauthorized off campus employment is a serious violation of your immigration status.

Your Financial Wellness

Financial wellness is having effectively managed finances and a robust understanding of how money management works. To help students get a better financial education, the University of Denver has partnered with CashCourse to provide a free online financial literacy program to all students.

You can find information on registering for the course, as well as other financial wellness resources here.

Student Support in Your Language

We know that being a student and moving to a new country can be tough – we can help!

Brought to you by Morneau Shepell and the University of Denver, the International Student Support Program, known as TELUS Health Student Support is free to use and offers online resources and International Student Support Counselors that can help you succeed while studying in the United States. You can connect with an International Student Counselor who speaks your language, understands your culture and can help you address the unique challenges you face when studying in another country.

Access support from anywhere, anytime by:

• Downloading TELUS Health Student Support's free My SSP app from your device's app store (available on Apple and Android devices) to call or chat with a counselor, or access tools

• Visiting the website and select University of Denver to chat with a counselor, access articles, tools, resources and more!

• Dialing 1.866.743.7732 to speak to a counselor over the phone, available 24/7. If calling from outside of North America, please call 001.416.380.6578

This program is confidential within the limits of the law. No one will know you have reached out unless you choose to tell them.